Heroes Network
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Network for Real Life Superheroes to have a place to socialize, network, and also teach and learn from each other.

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Sherlock Holmes Handbook: Methods and Mysteries of the World's Greatest Detective

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Tothian
President & Founder of the Heroes Network
Tothian

Titles : Real Life Superhero, Marine Corps Veteran, Warrior
Mission : Serve God, fight evil, protect people, help the Real Life Superhero Community

Sherlock Holmes Handbook: Methods and Mysteries of the World's Greatest Detective Empty
PostSubject: Sherlock Holmes Handbook: Methods and Mysteries of the World's Greatest Detective   Sherlock Holmes Handbook: Methods and Mysteries of the World's Greatest Detective I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 02, 2011 6:29 am

Here's a really good book for any Detective-type Crimefighter to read. Although it's better to have read all the Sherlock Holmes stories first before reading this book though, because it does make a lot of references to the stories, and if you didn't read them you'd feel like you wouldn't know what it was talking about entirely. It teaches about the different skills that Sherlock Holmes had.

For example, I remembered it divided the chapters of the book into a few categories. Each category spoke of different skills. Some of the ones I remember were his martial arts skill of Bartitsu, it also spoke of his skills such as Cryptology, Typography (people's typing patterns - although back then it wasn't like with computers, just type writers), and even his skills in lock picking. Things including but not limited to that. They also made references to the stories in which he was presented with these mysteries, and how he was able to solve them.

Here's a picture of the book:

Sherlock Holmes Handbook: Methods and Mysteries of the World's Greatest Detective 6778502
Back to top Go down
http://www.Tothian.com

Sherlock Holmes Handbook: Methods and Mysteries of the World's Greatest Detective Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sherlock Holmes Handbook: Methods and Mysteries of the World's Greatest Detective   Sherlock Holmes Handbook: Methods and Mysteries of the World's Greatest Detective I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 02, 2011 6:58 am

I can't wait to read it, I'm still working on the stories themselves.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Sherlock Holmes Handbook: Methods and Mysteries of the World's Greatest Detective   Sherlock Holmes Handbook: Methods and Mysteries of the World's Greatest Detective I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 13, 2012 6:03 pm

I got me a copy of this book while I was down in Florida and I must say that I have found it to have alot of useful infomation in it.
Back to top Go down
Tothian
Tothian

Mission : Serve God, fight evil, protect people, help the Real Life Superhero Community

PostSubject: Re: Sherlock Holmes Handbook: Methods and Mysteries of the World's Greatest Detective   Sherlock Holmes Handbook: Methods and Mysteries of the World's Greatest Detective I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 15, 2012 5:22 pm

Dark Ghost,

What kinds of stuff from the book did you find most useful?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Sherlock Holmes Handbook: Methods and Mysteries of the World's Greatest Detective   Sherlock Holmes Handbook: Methods and Mysteries of the World's Greatest Detective I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 15, 2012 5:45 pm

I will let you know after I finish reading it
Back to top Go down
Tothian
Tothian

PostSubject: Re: Sherlock Holmes Handbook: Methods and Mysteries of the World's Greatest Detective   Sherlock Holmes Handbook: Methods and Mysteries of the World's Greatest Detective I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 15, 2012 6:32 pm

Alright cool.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Sherlock Holmes Handbook: Methods and Mysteries of the World's Greatest Detective   Sherlock Holmes Handbook: Methods and Mysteries of the World's Greatest Detective I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 08, 2012 6:27 pm

who's a better detective Holmes or Batman?
Back to top Go down
Tothian
Tothian

PostSubject: Re: Sherlock Holmes Handbook: Methods and Mysteries of the World's Greatest Detective   Sherlock Holmes Handbook: Methods and Mysteries of the World's Greatest Detective I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 08, 2012 7:02 pm

Red Vision,

Very good question! I've noticed that Batman, in many ways, is a newer but also highly modified. And Professor Moriarty was even referred to as a supervillain, if I remember correctly. And Watson & Robin, barely much similar, aside from just being sidekicks. But, Irene Adler and Catwoman are VERY similar. Both in their eras have been referred to as the world's greatest detective.

But, I've noticed that a lot of Sherlock Holmes' investigations were easier, compared to how advanced modern technology is, and how Batman has had to keep up with that. He also had the advantage of learning from all of Sherlock Holmes' methods and mistakes.

If Sherlock Holmes were to have one edge on Batman, in the area of intelligence, it's that he was born crazy, very possibly due to a high functioning form of asperger's syndrome, also leading to a higher IQ, in addition to the (now-illegal) drugs he used, to enhance his intelligence. Batman was made crazy by the experiences he had went through, the suffering caused by witnessing his parents being murdered, and then seeing his city flooded with crime. He also has more common sense than Sherlock Holmes, which makes their levels of intelligence debatable, when you then have to question not who is more intelligence but rather in what ways is one more intelligent than the other.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Sherlock Holmes Handbook: Methods and Mysteries of the World's Greatest Detective   Sherlock Holmes Handbook: Methods and Mysteries of the World's Greatest Detective I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 08, 2012 8:16 pm

yea,but who's better?lol
Back to top Go down
Tothian
Tothian

PostSubject: Re: Sherlock Holmes Handbook: Methods and Mysteries of the World's Greatest Detective   Sherlock Holmes Handbook: Methods and Mysteries of the World's Greatest Detective I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 08, 2012 11:08 pm

It really depends on what you consider better. But since I don't wanna distract from this thread talking about this book and the skills taught in it, I should make a poll thread about it.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Sherlock Holmes Handbook: Methods and Mysteries of the World's Greatest Detective   Sherlock Holmes Handbook: Methods and Mysteries of the World's Greatest Detective I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 15, 2012 2:51 am

cool.
Back to top Go down
Tothian
Tothian

PostSubject: Re: Sherlock Holmes Handbook: Methods and Mysteries of the World's Greatest Detective   Sherlock Holmes Handbook: Methods and Mysteries of the World's Greatest Detective I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 15, 2012 2:10 pm

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Sherlock Holmes Handbook: Methods and Mysteries of the World's Greatest Detective   Sherlock Holmes Handbook: Methods and Mysteries of the World's Greatest Detective I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Sherlock Holmes Handbook: Methods and Mysteries of the World's Greatest Detective
Page 1 of 1