Heroes Network
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Network for Real Life Superheroes to have a place to socialize, network, and also teach and learn from each other.

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

How important is it to look the part of the superhero?

Go down 
3 posters

Not important at all. This isn't Halloween.
How important is it to look the part of the superhero? I_vote_lcap22%How important is it to look the part of the superhero? I_vote_rcap
 22% [ 2 ]
Its important to have the look to go along with your actions.
How important is it to look the part of the superhero? I_vote_lcap33%How important is it to look the part of the superhero? I_vote_rcap
 33% [ 3 ]
Its not important how your body is shaped, but you definitely want your uniform to reflect your RLSH personality. Actions are also important.
How important is it to look the part of the superhero? I_vote_lcap44%How important is it to look the part of the superhero? I_vote_rcap
 44% [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 9

AuthorMessage
GoldenAerie2

GoldenAerie2

Titles : Formerly Raven

How important is it to look the part of the superhero? Empty
PostSubject: How important is it to look the part of the superhero?   How important is it to look the part of the superhero? I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 16, 2013 8:24 pm

The argument: "Its your actions that are important, not how you look" vs "You need to look the part and act the part, otherwise you're missing the point"

How important is it to look the part of the superhero? Untitl12
Back to top Go down
http://time4heroics.blogspot.com/

PostSubject: Re: How important is it to look the part of the superhero?   How important is it to look the part of the superhero? I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 16, 2013 11:18 pm

2. Recognition is good to snap people out of apathy. Plus it's just plain fun! XD
Back to top Go down
Tothian
President & Founder of the Heroes Network
Tothian

Titles : Real Life Superhero, Marine Corps Veteran, Warrior
Mission : Serve God, fight evil, protect people, help the Real Life Superhero Community

PostSubject: Re: How important is it to look the part of the superhero?   How important is it to look the part of the superhero? I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 17, 2013 9:22 am

I voted the first option. The look isn't the main goal, nor is it the most important part of doing this. It's the least important part of it. The main part of it and the most important part is what we do.

Martin Luther King Jr. had a dream that people would be judged not by the color of their skin but by the content of their character. Same thing applies with us, considering the fact that some of us consider our suits to be our second skins. Same mentality applies, despite different situation.
Back to top Go down
http://www.Tothian.com
GoldenAerie2

GoldenAerie2

PostSubject: Re: How important is it to look the part of the superhero?   How important is it to look the part of the superhero? I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 17, 2013 10:48 am

Tothian, if its not important, then RLSH probably wouldn't be called RLSH.  It would just be more like Real Life Good Citizens and we'd all go around in everyday clothes.

I think having an image is a good part of being an RLSH.  That means working out, looking good (because when you look good you feel more confident), and having a little bit of flash from a superhero uniform (because we're real life SUPERHEROES).  Of course our actions are important too, also our ethics and morals.  I think its a balance of each that makes a great RLSH.
Back to top Go down
Tothian
Tothian

Mission : Serve God, fight evil, protect people, help the Real Life Superhero Community

PostSubject: Re: How important is it to look the part of the superhero?   How important is it to look the part of the superhero? I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 17, 2013 11:55 am

To reply to the last part of what you said- While a good image doesn't hurt, it should never be the priority. I've seen people with a good image, not really live up to that. And I've also seen some people with a bad image be better heroes and people in general, than had been let on. And to be fair, it also applies vice versa, too.

To reply to the first part of what you said- It isn't the uniforms that make one "super". It is the skill, quality, and ability. One can be seen as regular physically or with their attire, but if their actions deem them as superheroic, as in going above and beyond the call of duty, then that is what matters most.

I'm not saying that having a good image, nor one that is superheroic, is bad at all. Having the attires do make it interesting, I'll admit. They do have a variety of purposes. Disguise, armor, self-expression, to name a few of many reasons.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: How important is it to look the part of the superhero?   How important is it to look the part of the superhero? I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 17, 2013 5:17 pm

Don't forget the kids! Everytime kids see me in my outfit their faces light up like christmas. Many of them run right up to me (I was neverous at first, didn't want any parents thinking I was a child molester or anything, but saw a lot of the parents faces were lighting up like christmas too haha. But when a kid lights up like that and wants to talk with you, to me that's one of the most powerful things for me. Nothing is more powerful than talking with a child, (except an Apache Helicopte, those things have side mounting missiles, machince gun capabilities, and bombs, they are a very lethal killing machine, very powerful) but children are our future. We take it for granted a lot. Which is why life sucks a lot of the times. But if all adults committed themselves to kids, holy crap the future would be AWESOME! That's what I like about being a superhero. Smile

Stay true. Stay free. Stay safe.

--Hero Man
Back to top Go down
DarkShadow
Former Vice President of the Heroes Network
Former Vice President of the Heroes Network
DarkShadow

Titles : The Umbra Obscurum, DS, The DarkShadow, He who wields the Blade of the Whirlwind, the Lightning Blade

PostSubject: Re: How important is it to look the part of the superhero?   How important is it to look the part of the superhero? I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 17, 2013 6:50 pm

Dang...Spider-man better lay off of the Twinkies. affraid

On a more serious note, form should follow function when it comes to suits. In my opinion, what you intentions are should follow along with what your going to wear. If you were doing something for charity, a suit like mine wouldn't be recommended, you want to portray a bright, happy and positive message, especially when young children may be around. Granted, a neutral type suit would be good either way, but lets just say for the sake of argument, you want to slip into places or observe things at night. A bright and cheerful suit wouldn't be the right thing to have on. Something that would blend into the shadows would be more appropriate. You don't need/want to be seen at all...henceforth, the form of the suit follows the function of it and vice-versa.

DarkShadow Rising...

Last edited by DarkShadow on Tue Jun 18, 2013 5:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
GoldenAerie2

GoldenAerie2

PostSubject: Re: How important is it to look the part of the superhero?   How important is it to look the part of the superhero? I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 17, 2013 9:43 pm

Don't forget about the physical aspect guys.  Sure there's the uniform aspect, but there's also the physically fit part.  I really have a thing against really overweight RLSH who insist that they don't need to work out.  I think that if you're going to be an RLSH, you need to physically try to obtain that look which means training and staying fit.
Back to top Go down
Tothian
Tothian

PostSubject: Re: How important is it to look the part of the superhero?   How important is it to look the part of the superhero? I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 21, 2013 5:45 am

Hero Man,
For you I see your suit as functional to who you are and what you do.

DarkShadow,
For something like charity, it seems to make more sense doing that as civilians/in civilian attire rather than superheroes. This blog post explains from both moral and strategic purposes why I strongly believe that: http://tothian.blogspot.com/2012/11/real-life-superhero-community-vs.html - but as for the other part of what you were saying, you made a really good point.

Raven,
I very much agree. While I don't want to use the HN to specifically say bad things about any individuals in the RLSH Community, I will give my opinion on an idea that I disagree with. And I think the idea of overweight dudes in spandex do not look more like a superhero because of the uniform. They look even less like one because it just seems out of place. I even wrote a song about it. I have to be careful because in my quest for musical humor while making a good point, I also have to avoid seeming like a bully to others. But again I think it's alright if I don't name names.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How important is it to look the part of the superhero?   How important is it to look the part of the superhero? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 1